Numb hands, mulled wine, knitwear, family arguments, fairy lights and food comas. It’s officially winter. It’s also the time of the year when you can’t quite work out the best time to start getting festive. So if you’re looking for a warming recipe perfect for the awkward gap between November and December 25th, Angela Liddon’s Creamy Vegetable Curry is the one.
- 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked (3-4 in water)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 and 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 green chilli/jalapeño (optional)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 tbsp mild yellow curry power
- 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt (add more if needed)
- 1 cup peas
- Basmati rice for serving (if you’re looking for a lighter meal, I’d recommend a cauliflower/broccoli rice)
- Fresh coriander leaves, for serving
- Toasted cashews, for serving
- Blend cashews and water until smooth
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onion & garlic. Sauté for 5 mins or until translucent.
- Stir in chilli, carrots, potato, pepper, tomato, curry powder & salt. Sauté for 5 mins.
- Add peas and cashew cream. Reduce heat, cover with a lid & allow to simmer for about 20 mins (until sweet potato is tender). Stir every 5 mins, adding water if the mixture begins to dry out.
- Serve with rice, coriander and toasted cashews.